Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mom to Angel Baby, October 5th, 2008 at 5 weeks 1 day
and Morgan, August 3rd, 2010 at 10 weeks 3 days
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

We got married in June 2008 and started ttc right away... We learned on Sept 26th, 2008 that I was pregnant. Dan is a soldier and was away with work in Comox, BC when I found out and I called him to tell him the news. We were both super excited and couldn't wait to tell our families but decided to wait until Dan came back home so we could tell them together. Nobody even knew we were trying - we still had this grand plan of surprising everyone. The night I found out I actually went for dinner with Dan's mom, grandmother and my parents then went to Dan's Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary and it was SO hard not to tell them.

I called my doctor to go in to see them on the monday but couldn't get an appointment until Friday. All that week I spent a fortune on HPTs... they weren't getting as dark as I thought they should be but I was new to all this so what did I know... On the Friday (Oct 3rd) I went to the doctor and it was there I found out that I was losing our baby. I tried to call Dan but they were in the field in Wainwright Alberta by this point and couldn't get in contact with him... it wasn't until a few hours later that he got the message and was able to call back so I could share the bad news. Just two days later on October 5th (5 weeks 1 day) I woke up at 6 in the morning to terrible cramps - I was losing the baby. I called Dan, forgetting that if it's 6 am in Ottawa... it was 4 am in Wainwright... the poor guy was woken up in the middle of the night to a phone call from a very upset wife...

We hadn't told anyone we were pregnant... so we didn't tell that we'd lost the baby... we still held out hope we'd soon be able to experience giving our families that surprise good news.

Dan was to be deployed the following September so we knew we had a time deadline and I asked my doctor to refer me to a specialist. During the testing I found out I had a uterine septum. I had surgeries in Oct 2009 and March 2010 to remove it. Dan came home from deployment May 2010 May and we were busy running around to see everyone before our impending transfer to Edmonton, house hunting trip and getting everything ready for the move. On my Mom's birthday (June 17th), just a week before leaving for Edmonton we got some fantastic news - I was pregnant! We were so thankful that we got to tell people in person before leaving. Everything in the apartment got packed up off in the moving van, we packed up the car and left Ottawa on June 23rd. 

We took possession of the house on June 30th and the moving van arrived with all our stuff on Canada Day. With all the boxes in the house we decided to hook up the TV and watch a movie to relax in our new home. This is when our world was shaken - I'd gone to the bathroom and discovered I was bleeding. Living in our home for only a few hours and Dan bundled me into the car and we headed to the hospital. They did some blood work (which turned out fine) and told me to come back the next morning for an ultrasound. The ultrasound (5 weeks 6 days) showed a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole. They told me to go for an other ultrasound in a week... so wait a week and an other ultrasound... 6 weeks 6 days and still no fetal pole. I went to a walk in clinic (since I still had no dr) and they did some blood work which showed that my hcg levels were still increasing... time to wait some more. I finally got an OB and she set me up with an other ultrasound at 9 weeks 3 days... more waiting... the spotting has stopped and nausea increased which made us hopeful. The 9w3d ultrasound they finally found the fetal pole but it was only measuring just over 6 weeks and no heart beat. We decided the baby needed a name and we chose Morgan which would fit for a boy or a girl. 

On August 3rd, at 10 wks 3 days, I started severe bleeding, an other trip to the hospital confirmed I was losing Morgan. 


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails