Thursday, October 28, 2010

Story of HOPE


Melisa ~ Wishing Tree
Mommy to Calypso 
6/14/07 - 7/7/07
Calypso was born at 29 weeks 5 days and lived for 23 short days.  I've started an Angel Wishing Tree.  I put the names of angels onto the tree when requested and post the photos on my blog and to their parents.  
This project has helped me heal.  I like helping other people remember their babies.  It makes me feel good to know that even if I am only one person at least I can acknowledge their existence and the fact that they were here and loved.  
My inspiration was like a blaring smack on the head.  I had been trying to figure out an ongoing project that would help others, besides my NICU Remembrance Page.  One day I was talking with a friend and she sent me a photo of a Wish Tree.
The history behind the wishing tree is an interesting one.  People would take paper, write their wish on it, and then tie it to a tree.  When the paper had worn away the wish comes true.  
In my way of thinking ~ all of our angel's represent a wish that we all held onto for far too long.  So, I write the name and date(s) of a baby angel onto paper and tie them to my tree.  At the end of the year those that have not faded away will be burnt so we can start anew with new wishes and new ways to remember our angels.  My wishing tree will be a yearly thing and everyone can request the following year if they want their angel back on the tree.
I am doing something that I never thought possible ~ living my life in grief.  I am striving to be so much more then I was.  I refuse to let myself think that because I am one person I can't make a difference.  I cannot do everything but I CAN do something!  I have also organized a rather intensive donation drive during a convention in Chicago, in  which donations are gifted to the ‘Lincoln Park Community Shelter.‘   I'm not sure how or if anything I do makes a difference in anyone else's life. I hope to God it does, and hope I have helped someone even just a little bit.  What I am doing makes me feel better as a whole, I feel like I'm making the world a better place for someone else to live in and that makes me feel great.  
I am trying to pay things forward.  I have had so many wonderful people help me.  When we were fund raising for a headstone people I'd never even heard of donated.  With their help I was able to raise over $2000 for Calypso's headstone
An inspirational saying that I have found helpful is:  
I am only one, but I am one.  
I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  
And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.

To read more about Melisa please visit Angel Wishing Tree and  read her story on Faces.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails