Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mom to Ella Jo Krumwiede
March 25th, 2009-June 16th, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

I found out at my 20 week ultrasound appointment that I had an incompetent cervix.  This was supposed to be a happy appointment, one where I finally get to see our sweet little baby.  I was immediately put on bed rest and fearing for my new child's life.  Two weeks later I was sitting in the same clinic room and found out that I had already dilated to 1 centimeter and was admitted into the hospital for an emergency surgery to have a rescue cerclage put in to stop further dilation.  We had to wait 8 hours before the surgery could be performed and at 8:00 pm I was put under to have the cerclage stitched in.  The next day I was discharged and put on strict bed rest.  The next few weeks were a blur. 
At 24 weeks I started to have some cramping and bleeding at 10:00 pm on Tuesday March 24th.  After a few calls to the doctor, we went in to the hospital.  I was having contractions, none of which I could really feel but yet the doctor was concerned and called for an ambulance to have me sent to a specialist and to a hospital that had a level III NICU in case the baby would have to be delivered.  One fast ambulance ride later, I was admitted in to yet another hospital. Still hoping they could slow the contractions the doctors gave me some drugs and after about an hour nothing seemed to work.  I was contracting every few minutes.  At 2:37 am on March 25th our little girl entered the world. Ella Jo Krumwiede was born on March 25, 2009 at 2:37 am, at 24 weeks. She was 11 1/2 inches long and weighed 1 pound 2 ounces.
Our lives forever changed from that scary night.  Our daughter was rushed into the NICU and I was rushed back into surgery to have my cerclage removed. Ella was born very premature and was a very sick little baby, but she was such a fighter, a little feisty at times, and full of love. 
Ella lived for 83 days in the NICU.  After a roller-coaster ride in the NICU, her little body couldn't take it anymore and she flew to heaven on June 16, 2009.  I never imagined that my pregnancy would end with losing my daughter.  I still can't believe it now even a year later.  My husband and I started a nonprofit in Ella's memory to help other babies and families who have to spend many days, weeks and months within the NICU.  It brings us comfort to knowing that we can bring comfort to others through Ella's Halo.
Check out Taryn's nonprofit at 
You can contact her at


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails