Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mom to Aidan
February 1, 2010 -February 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

On August 14, 2009 my husband and I found out that we were expecting our first child.  I was having a very easy pregnancy and loving every minute of it. At 20 weeks we found out that we were having a little boy. He was very stubborn and the ultrasound tech couldn’t get all of his measurements so we had to schedule another ultrasound at 28 weeks.  We found out that my umbilical cord was no longer providing nutrients to the baby. After a few more ultrasounds it was decided it the baby needed to come out because the cord also was wrapped around his neck twice. I was rushed into the OR for an emergency c/s. At 4:44pm on February 1st the operating room was silent as our baby boy was delivered. The nurses had to perform CPR and were able to stabilize him. We chose not to name him until he was born so for a few hours he was known as baby boy. Once I finally got to meet him in the NICU, we named our little prince Aidan Christopher.

When Aidan was a day old the doctors noticed he was losing blood so they took him for a CT Scan and that’s when they discovered a massive bleed. We were told that the next 24 hours were critical. I have a friend who lost her daughter a few months prior due to a severe brain bleed so I knew this wasn’t good.  Aidan fought and he fought for hard for 7 days. We were able to touch him, change his diaper, give him mouth care with my breast milk and create many memories. On the 7th day the doctor took him for another CT Scan and found out that the bleed caused massive damage.  His entire left side of his brain was gone and so much tissue on his right side was gone as well. We had noticed that he wasn’t moving around as much or opening his eyes when the bili lights were off of him.  He also stopped having wet diapers.  We knew his body couldn’t handle the fight anymore.

On February 9, Aidan’s daddy’s birthday, at 3:04pm we took Aidan off the machines. I was able to hold him while he took his last breaths. At 3:05 he went Home to Jesus. Before he passed he opened his eyes and we just stared at each other.  My milk had come in and I continued to pump for a month and donated over 100 oz of milk to a local Milk Bank for preemies.

We miss Aidan so incredibly much and we know that we are better people for having him in our lives.  We don’t take anything for granted and know that we can handle anything.  Thank you for reading Aidan’s story.



Anonymous said...


my heart breaks for you as i read your story about your sweet aidan. i also lost my preemie infant son, due to a grade 4 brain bleed. my son was born on september 12, 2009 at 25 weeks after i suffered from a prolapsed umbilical cord and spent 3 weeks in the nicu. how devastating it was for us, too, when we had to make that decision to take him off of the ventilator because even surgeries were not going to help and our precious hayden passed away peacefully in my arms. i have had a very rough time since but can only hope that time will somehow begin to heal my broken heart.
i will be thinking of u and your family and your precious son.
although far in distance, u r close in mind and heart. please reach out if u ever need to vent or just need to get "talk" to someone on the "outside"... it sometimes helped me to talk to people that didn't know us personally (via support groups).
be good to yourself, maggie!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails